SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN. Even the pickiest pea soup lover will request this time and again. Thick and well-seasoned, it packs a nutritional punch, plus plenty of fiber and protein. "This makes a very thick vegetarian split pea soup. To make it thinner, reduce the amount of split peas or add more water.
Includes slow cooker, Instant Pot + stovetop methods. Let's start the new year with a big bowl of warm and comforting. Many of you were enthusiastic about the lentil soup recipe I posted a few weeks back. You can cook SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- Prepare 1 lb of split peas.
- You need 6 of large carrots.
- You need 5 stalks of celery.
- You need 1 of medium-large leek with dark green top removed and discarded.
- Prepare 1 of large (not gigantic) onion.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of olive oil Or unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of salt.
- You need 9-10 cups of water.
I like to finish each bowl with a generous drizzle of golden olive oil, a few flecks of lemon zest, and a dusting of smoked paprika to give the soup some. This vegetarian split pea soup is made with a touch of liquid smoke in place of the traditional ham. It's a filling, easy plant based meal! Serve this vegan and vegetarian split pea soup with some crusty bread, biscuits (or vegan biscuits), or a simple side salad for a full meal.
SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN step by step
- Small chop or large dice all vegetables..
- In Dutch oven (large pot) heat olive oil or unsalted butter to medium-low.
- Sautee veggies slowly about 12 minutes until cooked down slightly, stirring occasionally..
- Add split peas, water and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook 75 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed..
A veggie centric, vegan recipe blog dedicated to making healthy food choices more delicious. This is a classic split pea soup recipe, adapted from Ina Garten's Parker's Split Pea Soup, with heaps of peas simmering alongside red potatoes and carrots. I love making vegan split pea soup. This is a quick frugal meal. A great cold day hearty meal.