Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup). Warm a medium soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Vegan Pho (Phở) is an easier and healthier version of the traditional Vietnamese noodle soup. This nourishing and flavorful gluten-free and fat-free soup is perfect for any season!
In Vietnam, Pho is served primarily at breakfast time! It is a savory Vietnamese noodle soup, usually beef-based. It's has a unique and aromatic flavor from a curious blend of spices. You can have Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
- Prepare of Soup Broth.
- You need 1 large of sweet onion peeled and quartered.
- Prepare 1 small of piece ginger (about 2 inch) peeled and halved length wise.
- You need 1 head of full nutmeg (you can also use a small cinnamon stick).
- Prepare 2 clove of garlic.
- You need 1 pinch of coriander, cilantro, or basil.
- You need 4 medium of carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped.
- Prepare 4 cup of vegetable stock.
- It’s 2 tsp of soy sauce.
- You need of Noodles.
- You need 1/2 lb of flat rice noodle (I used thicker noodles but use according to preference).
- Prepare of Toppings.
- You need 2/3 packages of extra firm fried until crispy tofu (you can substitute any protein you desire here such as chicken, beef, beans, etc).
- You need 4 medium of mushrooms (by preference, I like shitake for asian dishes).
- You need 1 bunch of vegetables of your choice (I used bok choy and borccoli).
- It’s of Garnishes.
- It’s 1 bunch of bean sprouts.
- You need 1 bunch of cilantro (a handful is usually good).
- It’s 1 of chile pepper, or any hot pepper, sliced.
- It’s 1 of lime cut into slices.
- It’s 2 of stock green onion, sliced into small pieces.
- You need 1 of your favorite sauces such as Hoisin, Sriracha, etc.
Normally, it uses beef bones for the broth, but in our vegan pho recipe, we use vegetable broth. This vegetarian pho is an exception, though. To make Pho: Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain, and rinse under cold water.
Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) instructions
- For the broth:.
- Char the onion and ginger under the broiler until slightly black (about 5 minutes per side).
- Dry roast star anise, nut meg and cilantro in a large pot over medium heat until you can smell the flavors. Stir to prevent burning..
- Once flavors are aromatic, add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, charred onion and ginger. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Reduce heat and keep hot until ready to serve..
- For the noodles:.
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Once water is boiled, turn off heat, add noodles, cover and let cook for 5-7 minutes (or follow package directions). Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking..
- For Toppings:.
- Prepare however you desire. I fried the tofu in oil until crispy and cooked the veggies until slightly wilted and warmed throughout. Season as desired, but note the flavor of the broth is the main seasoning for the whole dish.
- For the garnishes:.
- Prepare garnishes and arrange on a plate. Add the desired amount of garnishes to your own dish once meal is prepared and served..
Ladle Broth over noodles, and top with tofu, sprouts, watercress, and green onions. Serve cilantro, basil, and lime wedges on the side to be stirred into soup. Place vegetable stock, onion, soy sauce, garlic, cinnamon sticks, ground ginger, star anise, and bay leaves in a large pot; bring to a boil. This incredible vegan pho recipe puts a new twist on the classic Vietnamese noodle soup. Add the water, onion, garlic, ginger, and the stems of the shiitake mushrooms.